Just some random babbling
Friday, 11 September 2026 23:38Look at me, making time to write here!
The last 2 days were pretty hectic. Boss came to town and then had a series of things to get done. I registered to be in the ballot for the Hong Kong Standard Chartered half marathon. Don't know if I will get it since it's by ballot, but, we'll see.
I got a couple trips lined up. For All Soul's Day long weekend (Saturday through Monday) I've booked a trip to Taipei. I was originally planning to give up on my November trip, but then suddenly found out there's some Pokemon Astronomy event going on in Aichi (flying to Nagoya).... so.... used my air miles, so I only paid for the tax for my flight ticket. And then January birthday trip to Taipei again. Hong Kong half marathon if I get the ballot. Hong Kong Pokemon Run, and then in March Nagoya again for the Marathon. Yup. It feels redundant to be going Taipei and Nagoya twice in six months. But the Pokemon Astronomy thing is only up till early December.
I've officially decided to stop my Korean classes once I finish this level. The other day I was supposed to have a class, but it was the parent's wedding anniversary. Originally i planned to go to class and not go for the anniversary dinner, but my Mom guilt trip (the actual guilt trip was a failure) me by saying "well when you go on your holidays you don't care about your classes anyway, so it's your choice." A hidden threat. What she didn't know, when I took time off from my previous classes, it was Chinese class. This is Korean class. And what do you know, I skipped one class and they covered so much ground, I had difficulty following the coursework the following week.
Funny thing is, I'm actually damn good with the Korean grammar. Like when they have to do verb declensions, I remember very well which verb forms will decline from the root form, and which verb forms will decline from the simple present form. So this other girl that sits next to me is some kind of K-pop fan or whatever, so she knows some Korean already. Every time we have conversation or reading exercises she always "guides" me on reading and answers. The thing is, she always forgets from which verb forms the declension should start from, so her verb forms are wrong more than they are right.
My problem is I can't remember the actual Korean. I can try to build a sentence in my mind, but then when I open my mouth to speak, it comes out all Japanese. I agree it's because at heart, I don't really want to learn Korean. But I must say knowing how to read it has actually helped me with work. I receive mail from Korea, and the other day, received a piece of mail. Usually I open and scan it and put it through Google Translate. This one particular piece of mail, I look at the addressee and notice... that's not our company name. So I put it through Google Translate before actually opening it, and found out indeed, they did mis-forward a piece of mail.
Still enjoying going to the gym. I really want to put more days in the gym. Once Korean classes are over I can schedule more time to go to the gym then.
The last 2 days were pretty hectic. Boss came to town and then had a series of things to get done. I registered to be in the ballot for the Hong Kong Standard Chartered half marathon. Don't know if I will get it since it's by ballot, but, we'll see.
I got a couple trips lined up. For All Soul's Day long weekend (Saturday through Monday) I've booked a trip to Taipei. I was originally planning to give up on my November trip, but then suddenly found out there's some Pokemon Astronomy event going on in Aichi (flying to Nagoya).... so.... used my air miles, so I only paid for the tax for my flight ticket. And then January birthday trip to Taipei again. Hong Kong half marathon if I get the ballot. Hong Kong Pokemon Run, and then in March Nagoya again for the Marathon. Yup. It feels redundant to be going Taipei and Nagoya twice in six months. But the Pokemon Astronomy thing is only up till early December.
I've officially decided to stop my Korean classes once I finish this level. The other day I was supposed to have a class, but it was the parent's wedding anniversary. Originally i planned to go to class and not go for the anniversary dinner, but my Mom guilt trip (the actual guilt trip was a failure) me by saying "well when you go on your holidays you don't care about your classes anyway, so it's your choice." A hidden threat. What she didn't know, when I took time off from my previous classes, it was Chinese class. This is Korean class. And what do you know, I skipped one class and they covered so much ground, I had difficulty following the coursework the following week.
Funny thing is, I'm actually damn good with the Korean grammar. Like when they have to do verb declensions, I remember very well which verb forms will decline from the root form, and which verb forms will decline from the simple present form. So this other girl that sits next to me is some kind of K-pop fan or whatever, so she knows some Korean already. Every time we have conversation or reading exercises she always "guides" me on reading and answers. The thing is, she always forgets from which verb forms the declension should start from, so her verb forms are wrong more than they are right.
My problem is I can't remember the actual Korean. I can try to build a sentence in my mind, but then when I open my mouth to speak, it comes out all Japanese. I agree it's because at heart, I don't really want to learn Korean. But I must say knowing how to read it has actually helped me with work. I receive mail from Korea, and the other day, received a piece of mail. Usually I open and scan it and put it through Google Translate. This one particular piece of mail, I look at the addressee and notice... that's not our company name. So I put it through Google Translate before actually opening it, and found out indeed, they did mis-forward a piece of mail.
Still enjoying going to the gym. I really want to put more days in the gym. Once Korean classes are over I can schedule more time to go to the gym then.
