elusivek: (books)
[personal profile] elusivek
Untitled The Plague
Albert Camus
Amazon Product Link

A haunting tale of human resilience and hope in the face of unrelieved horror, Albert Camus' iconic novel about an epidemic ravaging the people of a North African coastal town is a classic of twentieth-century literature. The townspeople of Oran are in the grip of a deadly plague, which condemns its victims to a swift and horrifying death. Fear, isolation and claustrophobia follow as they are forced into quarantine. Each person responds in their own way to the lethal disease: some resign themselves to fate, some seek blame, and a few, like Dr. Rieux, resist the terror. An immediate triumph when it was published in 1947, The Plague is in part an allegory of France's suffering under the Nazi occupation, and a timeless story of bravery and determination against the precariousness of human existence.

= + = + = + = + = + = + = + = + = + = + = + = +

Book Club read. I thought I would like the book better as I’m pretty appreciative of Albert Camus’ quotes (even got one tattoo of it), but I found the 20-45% (mostly book 2) to drag a little on too long - I read all that but nothing really stuck. Then books 3, 4, and 5 got better.

Some of the characters were predictable; I saw through Cottard, and the priest, coming to think of it. I even instinctively knew what would happen to the Doctor’s wife.

There were some lines that I really resonated with, but I just started to use Koreader so wasn’t sure how to go about highlighting or jotting stuff down… I’ve lost the location and can’t find those parts.

Profile

Agueda Umbrella
kat (DW: elusivek | LJ: notte0)
❤︎ loves dogs, dark chocolate, and books.
★ doesn’t exactly hate cats.
◆ hates white chocolate.
more?
I read books :-)

October 2026

S M T W T F S
    123
4567 8 910
11121314 151617
18192021222324
25262728293031

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Page generated Monday, 19 October 2026 01:29
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios